Do you love the flashy, punky look that dominated the 1980’s? Are you going to an 80’s themed dance and need to look the part? Getting that red 80’s style is easier than you might think; a few hair accessories and some bright eye makeup might be all it takes!
- If you have oily skin, try a liquid or powder-based foundation. If you have dry skin, try a liquid or cream-based foundation.
- If you have oily skin, focus your powder on the T-zones: your nose, forehead, chin, and cheeks. If you have dry skin, go easy on the powder, or skip it entirely.
- To contour your face, choose a bronzer or foundation that is 2 to 3 shades darker than your skin tone, and apply it to either side of your nose, your temples, and the hollows of your cheeks.
- For a standard 80’s look, choose bright colors, like orange, red, purple, blue, neon green, or hot pink. Blue was especially popular.
- Use darker colors for a punk or gothic look. Punk and goth were popular during the 80’s.
- Eyeshadow does not have to cover just your eyelid. You can make it shaped like a lightning bolt even. This was David Bowie’s trademark makeup when he played Aladdin Sane.
- Consider applying some eyeshadow primer first. This will make those bright colors stand out even more. Simply apply the primer over your entire lid, from lash line to brow bone, then brush on the eyeshadow.
- The eyeliner does not have to be black. It can be a different color, such as bright purple. Blue and teal eyeliners, especially on the lower lash line, were very popular.
- Mascara does not have to be black. If you want a bright, wild look, try purple, green, or blue mascara. Bright blue mascara was very popular.
- If you want to do a more punk or gothic look, use a very dark purple or red, or black.
- Lip gloss was popular too, but mostly among younger girls. If you’d like a younger, more youthful look, go for lip gloss.
- Look at celebrities and models from the 80s for inspiration. David Bowie/Ziggy Stardust, Madonna, Farrah, and Siouxsie Sioux are all great examples of 80s fashion.
- Paint a heart or star on your right cheek for a signature retro touch.
- If you don’t like bright colors, you are in luck. Punk and goth were also popular during the 80s, and they were all about dark colors -especially black.
- Be unique. You don’t have to follow this exactly.
- Make sure to wash all makeup off before going to sleep. Failing to do so will clog your pores and cause acne.
- Don’t go overboard on the colors, or you will end up looking more like a clown. Try to match your lipstick, eyeshadow, and/or eyeliner. This will help tie your look together.